For the past 9 years I have made photography a priority in my life. There are many reasons for this. Primarily it is a personal journey into a creative way of living that has and does instill a sense of personal peace, tranquility and purpose. This is or should be some of the reasons a person chooses such an endeavor. We, or at least I need to find those things that bring true purpose to life and begins to reveal the larger picture of our purpose. This journey, endeavor, passion, what ever one chooses to call it has never been about “taking pictures”. My feelings relate strongly to a well known phrase by Dorthea Lange: “The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.”

Most of the time spent in natures solitude results in no pictures being taken at all. Though the camera is always present and is in fact a driving force in the actual journey itself. If I were to guess I would say 5% or less of my time spent in nature is devoted to capturing images with the camera and the other 95% is devoted to this “seeing without a camera”. Photography is the reason, creating an image is the result. What does happen every time regardless of if a camera is used or not is a feeling of connection.  A connection with the land that sustains life, mine and yours.

The last couple of years I have made a conscious effort to share more of what I do with those who may enjoy it. This has been primarily sharing the images I create with the world. Viewing images these days is primarily done online. This world has become a far busier place than just a generation ago. I’m glad there are those who enjoy viewing photographs online but this truly is just a thin slice of how art of any kind can or should be enjoyed. This blog has been a 2nd part of that sharing. This blog has existed since 2009. It has simply been another way to express my appreciation of the places I go and the things I do. I am not a writer, though I do enjoy the process very much. I write in an attempt to express personal values in a way that I hope others can relate to.

As you come to learn more about these experiences I find it more and more important to have an ability to share them. I have met many wonderful folks over the last couple of years that have expressed a desire to stay in touch one way or another. I also am always looking for better ways and or easier ways for everyone to stay up to date on what is going on here and with new images that are continuously being added to the gallery site. Newsletters seem to be the thing these days that can easily accomplish those goals.

Okay, that’s a little about why, as for the why now. Hey why not! As I continue to create work and experience life it becomes important to make those times whether through images or stories available to those who care to enjoy them. You shouldn’t have to work to keep up to date. We all are busy and many things in our daily lives distract us from what we may want to do. Social media seems to be one of those things. I am a willing participant in the social media age with posts of new work being shared on a regular basis. Many times, if not most times we quickly scan through social media in an attempt to see what is new or what someone might be up to. We look, we read a bit then we are gone like the wind on to the next thing. My hope is that with a newsletter that is delivered to your inbox you can view it whenever you want or have the time. It can live there until “you” decide to delete it or act upon it. Again hoping to make it just a bit easier for you and on your schedule. Now seems as good as time as any to make things just a bit easier.

I am describing this as a monthly newsletter and it will be monthly. In my perfect world I would send it out the 1st of each and every month and you would receive it first thing in the morning. I haven’t been able to find my perfect world yet so this monthly newsletter will be sent based on the world I presently live in. All kidding aside my goal is the first half of each month. I will, at times send special notices when I feel you may be interested about something that is going on before the next scheduled newsletter.

So that’s about it in the proverbial nutshell. I hope it works. Please remember I want this to work both ways. Your input is just as and actually more important than my output on this. There is a comment area at the end of every post on this blog and it is there for a reason. Feel free to voice your opinion, ask questions or just let me know what you think. You can also do the same at my social media sites as well. I really do appreciate the feedback.

If you have come to this post and are have not yet subscribed to the newsletter and would like to you can here: Newsletter Signup 

 

Golden Prairie

©Brad Mangas

Related Images: